Civilians in Syria and Iraq – level 3
According to Operation Inherent Resolve, which is the US military’s name for the military intervention against ISIS in Syria and Iraq, the US-led coalition strikes led to the unintentional deaths of at least 1,139 civilians.
There were over 31,000 strikes launched between August 2014 and the end of November 2018, and the operation freed nearly 8 million Iraqis and Syrians from ISIS rule. The ISIS-controlled territory reduced to about 1 per cent of what the group had before.
However, Airwars, a non-profit company monitoring civilian harm from air strikes, reports that the number of civilian deaths from US-led coalition actions in Iraq and Syria could be as high as 11,637. That number could still be higher because the agency counts deaths which were deemed confirmed or fair.
Difficult words: intervention (intervening – getting into someone else’s fight), strike (air strike), unintentional (not done on purpose, not wanted), launch (start), harm (danger), coalition (a collection of groups), deem (think to be the case), confirmed (something confirmed happened for sure).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos