Climate Change Protests – level 2
In London, there were 1.5-week-long protests organised by a group called Extinction Revolution. The police made more than 1,000 arrests.
The protesters demanded actions which would help stop climate change. The activists blamed the London Stock Exchange, and they held banners in a London financial district last Thursday. One of the banners read ‘business as usual = death’, which means that doing nothing can be catastrophic for the planet.
The organisation said that it made its point. One activist said that everything was very popular and politicians knew it.
The Extinction Revolution wants the British government to create a program. The program would reduce carbon emissions to zero by 2025. Similar climate protests took place in New York, Berlin, Paris and at the Hague.
Difficult words: extinction (the dying out of humans/animals/plants), demand (strongly ask for something), district (a part of a city).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos