Coal mine protests – level 3
Thousands of climate activists demonstrated against the clearance and demolition of the Luezerath Village in West Germany.
The regional and national governments both include the Green party; they reached a deal with utility company RWE to destroy the village in order to expand a coal mine. They argued that coal was needed to ensure Germany’s energy security after less gas supplies from Russia.
The Green party said that the deal fulfilled several of the environmentalists’ demands and saved five other villages. However, environmentalists rejected this deal, and they said that bulldozing the village would result in vast amounts of greenhouse gas emissions. Then Germany couldn’t meet its commitments under the 2015 Paris Agreement.
Greta Thunberg was among the protesters. She said that Germany was one of the biggest polluters in the world and needed to be held accountable.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.