Colombia Killing – level 3
On Saturday, at least eight people were shot in a massacre on a coffee plantation in Colombia.
According to local authorities, ten heavily armed men opened fire on 14 people at the La Gabriela coffee plantation, and the incident was linked to drug trafficking. Colombia’s defense minister said that the criminals made up a part of one of the most wanted drug cartels and the purpose of the massacre was to harm the community and the local government.
Colombia is one of the world’s main producers of cocaine and drug trafficking drives the country’s internal conflict which has lasted for decades, and in the last year, mass murders even increased. More than 260 thousand people have died and millions have been displaced.
Difficult words: massacre (the violent death of many living things), drug trafficking (the production, distribution, and sale of illegal drugs), drug cartel (a criminal organization that controls the business with illegal drugs), displace (to make someone or something leave).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.