Coronavirus and Vaccine – level 2
Scientists in Oxford, UK, say that they could make a vaccine for COVID-19 by fall this year. Nobody thought that a vaccine could be ready so soon.
Usually, it takes years to make a vaccine; however, health officials believe that scientists can make a vaccine for COVID-19 very fast. It can take them between 12 to 18 months.
Scientists in Oxford made similar vaccines last year, and they used monkeys to test the vaccines. The vaccines worked well.
Scientists hope that they can start clinical trials for the COVID-19 vaccine very soon. However, they are not sure that humans have the same immunity as monkeys.
Difficult words: vaccine (when a doctor gives a virus or a bacteria to a person to make the person stronger when he gets ill), clinical trial (when scientists test new drugs on people before the drugs become officially available), immunity (how strong a body is to fight a disease).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.