Dam in Brazil – level 3
The Brumadinho Dam in Brazil burst at an iron ore mill, and a torrent of water submerged the area, killing people and destroying houses.
At least 40 people died and hundreds are still missing as the search for survivors continues. However, the hopes of finding survivors are getting low. Some local residents returned to their homes to find them completely destroyed. Family and friends nervously wait for news of their missing loved ones.
Vale, a huge company who owns and operates the dam, has been issued with an initial £50 million fine and £1.2 billion of its assets were frozen.
This is the second dam to collapse in Brazil in recent years. The previous one collapsed in 2015 and killed 19 people.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.