Dirty UK waters – level 1
UK waters are dirty. The problem is that water companies do not clean wastewater enough. Big companies release dangerous chemicals. They all end up in the ocean and rivers.
Last weekend, thousands of people protest in 12 places around the UK. They want to end sewage pollution. Sewage pollution means that water gets dirty from things from homes and toilets. Surfers Against Sewage is an organization which fights against this. For 30 years, this organization wants to stop the pollution of UK waters.
It is necessary to change the rules for companies. Also, water companies must do better testing of water quality. The situation with UK waters is very bad. It is dangerous for animals and people, too.
Difficult words: wastewater (dirty water from homes and factories), release (to let out), pollution (making air, water, or ground dirty).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures do you think need to be implemented to help protect UK waters from pollution?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos