Durian Fruit – level 3
People celebrated the durian, a tropical fruit found in Malaysia and famous for its pungent smell and unusual taste. The Malaysian town of Bentong held its first International Durian Tourism Festival. Tourists flocked to the town to eat the savoury yet sweet fruit.
Some think that it smells like sewage, rotting meat, or gym socks. The odour is so strong that its consumption is banned from hotels and public transport in Southeast Asia.
Malaysia hopes to expand its export of the durian fruit, which people use in ice-creams and drinks.
Difficult words: pungent (strong, sharp), flock (come in large numbers), savoury (salty or spicy), sewage (waste water), odour (a smell).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos