Egyptian Man Becomes a Woman – level 3
Farida Aly spent decades undergoing blood tests, brain scans and personality tests in Egypt before doctors finally issued the needed medical reports to allow her to undergo gender reassignment surgery.
She was born Muhammad Ramadan Ali and she had always felt she was a girl; however, she had no idea how to deal with her feelings. She received medical reports that said that she had brain deficiencies and mental issues.
Gender reassignment procedures are legal in Egypt; however, in the conservative Muslim country, it is often a long and highly stigmatized process. Gay and transgender people have reported cases of assault and torture.
Ali was abandoned by her family, she was left jobless, and she had to move to another town where only a few people know about her past. She tutors children in the neighborhood to earn a living, and one day, she hopes to have a child of her own.
Difficult words: gender reassignment surgery (an operation by which a person´s physical appearance is changed to the gender that he or she feels to be), brain deficiency (a chemical imbalance in the brains that makes a person unable to learn or control emotions), stigmatized (when society regards something as disapproving or shameful).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.