Emission-free iron – level 2
People make iron when they burn coal with iron ore. A chemical process uses carbon from coal, and it removes oxygen from the iron ore.
People started to make steel thousands of years ago, and the process changed only a little. Steel makes billions of tons of gas and smoke, which are more than India makes in one year. A company in California, US, makes iron in a new way. This process makes almost no gas or smoke.
The process doesn’t use coal but electricity from solar panels and wind power. The process happens at much lower temperatures, and it lowers pollution by 90%.
Difficult words: ore (rock or soil with metal in it), remove (to take something away), steel (a strong grey material, which people make from iron).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos