Empty Czech Capital – level 2
The Czech Republic is a small country in Central Europe. Its capital city, Prague, is one of Europe’s most popular tourist destinations. There are many picturesque narrow streets that attract tourists from all over the world.
At this time of year, the city is usually crowded; however, Prague’s historical center is really quiet and almost empty these days. The Czech Republic is on lockdown because of the coronavirus, and schools and most shops are closed. If people need to go out, they must wear a face mask.
There are 6,500 people with the coronavirus, and 170 people died already. The government wants to start to lift some restrictions next week; however, this process will last at least two months.
Difficult words: picturesque (very nice to look at; when a place looks like a picture or a painting), crowded (full of people), restriction (a rule that limits what people can do).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos