Erdogan of Turkey – level 3
Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has been in power since 2003, will now begin a new five-year term after winning Turkey’s presidential election.
At a hugerally, Erdogan said that the winner was democracy and the Turkish population, but the country has just completed a transition from a parliamentary to a presidential government system.
After people narrowly voted in a referendum last year, the country’s president assumed sweeping new powers. According to the president’s main rival, Muharrem Ince, Turkey has become a ‘one-man regime’.
Difficult words: huge (very big), rally (a political meeting with a lot of people), assume (begin to have), sweeping (absolute).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos