Fashion Industry – level 2
The fashion industry is a big problem for the environment. 20% of the world’s wastewater comes from the fashion industry, and the industry is also responsible for 10% of world carbon emissions. It is more than all planes and ships make together.
An interesting fact is that it takes about 7,500 liters of water to make a pair of jeans. At the same time, people throw a lot of clothes away. Every second, they throw away so many clothes that they would fill one garbage truck. People follow the latest fashions and they keep buying new clothes. They throw away clothes that are still nice, and somebody else could wear them.
Some fashion companies try to be more friendly to the environment, and they make clothes from recycled materials. They use modern technologies that do not harm the environment.
Difficult words: wastewater (dirty water from houses and companies), carbon emission (a toxic gas from factories and cars that makes the air dirty), garbage truck (a big truck that goes from one house to another, and it collects things that people throw away).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.