Finnish Sauna – level 3
Finland’s sauna has been added to the UNESCO list of intangible cultural heritage. The entry was among the 35 from around the world that were added to the list in 2020.
According to UNESCO, the sauna has been a part of Finnish culture for thousands of years, with an estimated three million saunas in a country of 5.5 million people.
On average, a Finnish person takes at least one sauna per week. The sauna is an integral part of the life of the majority of Finnish people and it involves more than just bathing. In saunas, people cleanse their bodies and minds and they foster a sense of inner peace.
UNESCO also included the tradition of playing the hunting horn to the list, which was awarded jointly to Italy, France, Belgium, and Luxembourg.
Difficult words: intangible (something that has no physical presence and it can’t be touched), foster (to help something grow or develop), hunting horn (an instrument that is used to give signals during hunting).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos