Fires from California to Japan – level 3
The ongoing heatwave has reduced Portugal’s rolling hills to tinder and the country has become the latest in a long list of countries to be ravaged by wildfires.
Hundreds of firefighters are working day and night to keep the number of wildfires under control, and neighbouring Spain joined the fight by lending a number of aircraft for water drops.
The extreme weather has struck more than Europe – countries including Japan and the USA are also dealing with deadly heatwaves and fires. California is battling its biggest wildfire in history, and it is called the ‘Holy Fire’. The massive blaze covers an area larger than New York City and officials said that more than 283,800 acres of land have been scorched.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.