First Person Gets a Vaccine – level 3
90-year-old Margaret Keenan is the first person in the world to receive the coronavirus vaccine officially outside of clinical trials. The second vaccine recipient is 81-year-old William Shakespeare.
Both recipients got vaccinated at the University Hospital in Coventry, UK, with the UK being the first country to give regulatory approval to the Pfizer vaccine. December 8 was dubbed ´V-Day´ by the country´s health secretary, and it was also the same day when the vaccination roll out began across the country. The secretary also said that December 8 was the beginning of the end of the pandemic.
However, the roll out of the vaccine is going to be a difficult task, especially in remote areas. Also, the UK government has to overcome skepticism around the vaccine´s safety despite claims that no corners have been cut in its development.
Difficult words: regulatory approval (registrations or permits that are issued by a government authority), roll out (the introduction of a new product or service), skepticism (feeling unsure), to cut corners (to do something in the easiest, cheapest, or fastest way).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.