Floods in Sierra Leone – level 3
After flooding and mudslides following heavy rains, people recovered more than 200 bodies in the West African country of Sierra Leone.
A hillside collapsed during the night when people were sleeping, meaning that they were unable to flee. The death toll is expected to rise and over 2,000 people will be left homeless.
Makeshift housing in Sierra Leone means that whole settlements can be washed away by floods.
Difficult words: flee (escape), death toll (the number of deaths), makeshift (temporary – only for some time), settlement (a village).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos