Football Team Changes Name – level 2
The Washington Redskins is an American football team that plays in the NFL league. The team announced that it would change its name and logo.
The decision came after some companies refused to do business with the team if the team did not change its name. The Redskins have had the name for almost 90 years; however, some people were not happy with it. Native Americans criticized the name, and they said that it was rude. In 2020, a study at the University of California found out that 49 % of Americans said that the logo was rude.
The team´s coach said that the new name and logo would honor soldiers and Native Americans.
Difficult words: logo (a symbol or design that a represents a company or product), refuse (to say that you will not do something or to not do something), criticize (to show problems with something), honor (to show respect).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.