France and Italy fight about migrants – level 3
France and Italy intensified their fight over migration after Italy’s far-right government failed to let a charity-operated ship come there.
The ship carried sick passengers who were rescued at sea between Libya and Italy. The ship had been stuck in Italian waters for weeks as it looked for a place to accept the migrants. For the first time, France allowed the rescue ship to land there, and the Ocean Viking eventually docked in the French port of Toulon.
Afterward, France decided to stop a plan to take 3,500 asylum seekers currently in Italy as a part of a European solidarity accord. The standoff is part of a crisis in Paris’s relations with Italy’s new prime minister Giorgia Meloni.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.