HBO Takes Away Movie – level 2
HBO Max is taking away the movie “Gone with the Wind” from its library. The movie is a love story that takes place during the Civil War in the USA.
People consider it an American classic; however, the movie is very controversial. Many people do not like it because it shows slavery in America.
HBO Max said that the movie was a product of its time. An HBO spokesperson said that racism in the movie was wrong, and it is wrong today, too. HBO Max plans to put the movie back in its library; however, the network wants to add information about history to it.
The spokesperson said that it was not good to keep the movie in its library and not explain that slavery was bad.
Difficult words: classic (a work of art that many people know, and they consider it important), controversial (when something makes a lot of people angry, because they have different opinions about it), slavery (a long time ago when white people made black people work for them and black people belonged to them; many people do not agree with slavery now), a product of its time (a thing that shows the way that people thought some time ago).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos