Help for Medical Workers – level 2
US health care workers struggle because they do not have enough hand sanitizer. Companies that produce ethanol can help solve the problem. They could make millions of gallons of ethanol; however, they make ethanol for the food industry.
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not agree with their idea. Officials do not want to allow ethanol producers to make food ethanol for medical use. They say that it is a lower grade ethanol, and it is not safe to put it on people’s skin.
Health officials say that the FDA should make its rules less strict because it could help with the lack of hand sanitizer. In recent days, officials changed rules to support companies to make medical gloves, ventilators, and coronavirus tests.
Difficult words: hand sanitizer (a gel that has alcohol in it, and people use it on their hands to reduce infection), ethanol (a type of alcohol), lack (when there is not enough of something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos