Help for Sudan – level 3
The conflict in Sudan, involving the army and paramilitary forces, has caused a humanitarian crisis with 2.2 million people displaced from their homes.
The capital Khartoum has turned into a war zone, and the western region of Darfur has experienced attacks and mass displacement. A 72-hour ceasefire has temporarily halted the fighting in Khartoum, but looting has increased. Desperate residents in El Geneina, the hardest-hit city in Darfur, are attempting to flee but face violence and detention. A fundraising conference in Geneva resulted in pledges of close to 1.5 billion dollars in aid; however, it remains unclear when and if the funds will be disbursed.
The situation has been described as urgent, with ethnic violence and reports of gender-based and sexual violence causing deep concern.
Difficult words: paramilitary (an unofficial force organized similarly to a military force), ceasefire (temporary halt in fighting), loot (to steal goods, typically during a war or riot), disburse (to pay out money from a fund).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures have been taken to ensure those displaced by the conflict in Sudan receive the aid that has been pledged?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.