In the middle of a river – level 3
Emergency services in Russia came to rescue two children stranded on an ice floe.
Emergency services dispatched a helicopter and a hovercraft to the scene near the eastern city of Khabarovsk after they received a distress call about the incident on the Osinovaya River.
Initially, the rescuers were unable to reach the children who stood at the edge of the ice, so the rescuers ended up using the hovercraft to pick them up and bring them to safety. Both children were unharmed. Officials have issued a warning that the winter ice on the river had not yet fully formed and was still dangerously thin.
Difficult words: stranded (stuck; not able to leave), icefloe (a sheet of floating ice), dispatch (send) hovercraft (a vehicle that travels just above the surface of land or water), distress call (to ask for help for somebody is in danger), issue (officially make known).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures are in place to prevent similar incidents in the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.