India tunnel collapse – level 2
40 workers are trapped in a collapsed tunnel in India’s Uttarakhand state. Rescue operations don’t go as easily as officials thought, and there are many troubles.
The tunnel is part of a controversial road project that costs 1.5 billion dollars. The tunnel collapsed after a landslide, and it trapped workers deep inside. So far, rescuers cleared only 20 meters of rubble, and they still need to clear 30 meters more. There are plans to make a shaft but falling rocks and other troubles make it very difficult. Workers get oxygen and food through pipes, but they are not feeling well. There is enough oxygen for five to six days.
Some people criticize the project. They say that it will cause damage to the Himalayan region.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures are being taken by the rescue team to ensure the safety of the trapped workers?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.