Indonesia stadium tragedy – level 3
In Indonesia, at least 125 people died, and 180 were injured in a soccer match crush; the incident was one of the world’s worst stadium disasters.
In the Malang province, the tragedy unfolded on Saturday after home side Arema FC lost 3-2 to its long-time rival Persebaya Surabaya. Frustrated Arema supporters invaded the pitch, and security responded with tear gas to control the situation.
Officials said the crush happened because fans fled the gas to the exit gate where they suffocated. Officials stated that 42,000 tickets had been sold for the match at Kanjuruhan stadium when its capacity was 38,000.
Indonesia’s president Joko Vidodo ordered the Football Association of Indonesia to suspend all games in the top League until officials complete an investigation. FIFA, the world soccer’s governing body, requested a report on the incident. In its safety regulations, FIFA specifies that stewards or police shouldn’t carry or use firearms or crowd control gas.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.