Israel’s new law – level 2
Israel’s parliament approved new laws which will reduce the power of the Supreme Court.
Before this change, the court could cancel government decisions if it found them unreasonable. Now, that power is gone, but the court can still rule against the government using other laws.
People worry that corruption might increase because government officials could more easily hire and fire people for the wrong reasons. Experts see Israel’s democracy, and so, the Supreme Court is important to protect people’s rights and the law.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wants to make more changes, but it is unclear if everyone will agree. People are afraid he might use these changes to help himself in his corruption trial, but he denies this.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact do you think the changes to Israeli law could have on democracy and trust in the government?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.