Japanese city wants more tourists – level 1
Kyoto is an old Japanese city. It is the capital of Japan for more than one thousand years. Tokyo changes to the capital in the 19th century.
1.45 million people live in Kyoto. Every year, millions of tourists visit Kyoto. They want to see its old temples and gardens. They want to eat local food.
In 2019, 50 million tourists visit Kyoto. Local people are not happy. Too many cars are in the streets. Too many tourists are everywhere. Some tourists don’t follow rules.
In 2019, everything changes. The coronavirus starts. Japan closes to foreign tourists. Kyoto is quiet.
Now, tourists can visit Japan again. Sadly, only 10% to 30% of tourists visit. Few people visit. Local people want more tourists to come.
Difficult words: tourist (a person who travels or visits a place), temple (a building where people talk to a god), foreign (from another country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos