Japan’s former Prime Minister killed – level 2
Shinzo Abe was the former Prime Minister of Japan. He was the longest serving minister, and he stepped down in 2020 because of health problems.
After stepping down, Abe continued to be active in politics. Last Friday, he spoke in public in the city of Nara. Suddenly, a man shot him from behind. Abe fell but still alive. A helicopter took him to hospital where he died.
Police arrested a 41-year-old man who killed Abe with a homemade gun. The man later said that he didn’t like Abe, and he wanted to kill him. The attack shocked Japan. The country has strict gun laws, and attacks on politicians are rare.
Difficult words: serve (to work for someone or for an organization), step down (to end in an important position or office), homemade (make something at home and not buy in a shop).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos