Koala Stops the Traffic – level 3
Police had to escort a koala to safety from a busy Australian highway. The native marsupial had wandered onto the road where it stopped the busy traffic.
A video posted to Facebook shows cars stopped on the roadway while a policeman shepherds the animal to safety. The koala ambled and hopped casually along the highway before eventually taking refuge in greenery next to the road, all to the amusement of motorists. The officer stayed close to the koala until it climbed a tree to safety.
Koalas look cute but experts say that they should not be picked up because they have sharp claws.
Difficult words: marsupial (a mammal like the kangaroo and the koala), wander (walk without a specific destination), shepherd (to guide), amble (walk slowly and in a relaxed way), take refuge (to find a safe place), amusement (enjoinment, fun), claw (an animal’s nail).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.