Milk in a river – level 3
On Wednesday, a milk tanker crashed into the River Dulais in Carmarthenshire, Wales, spilling its contents and turning the water white. According to officials, 28,000 liters of milk leaked, causing significant discoloration.
Although milk may appear a benign substance that some people drink every day, once it gets into the water, it can affect hundreds of kilometers and become the equivalent of napalming a forest. Milk is seven times more polluting than cattle slurry, and it can affect the complex web of life that includes zooplankton which fish eat, plant life which rodents are reliant on, and the fish that birds feed on.
The river began to clear two days after the incident; however, authorities continued to closely monitor the situation, the insects and animals along the waterway, and they asked people to report any dead fish that they spotted.
Difficult words: benign (not harmful), napalm (to attack with bomb containing napalm, which is a sticky substance that contains petrol and it burns strongly), slurry (a semi-liquid mixture of water and animal waste).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.