Moldova attacks – level 2
Transnistria is an area of Moldova, which borders on Ukraine. In the past weeks, the government reported several bomb alerts on schools and medical institutions.
Last weeks, attackers threw grenades against a government building, which worried many people that a war could start. Moldovan president Maia Sandu said that the situation was getting very serious, and authorities watched the area very closely.
Pro-war forces are in Transnistria, and they are trying to make the area unstable. It is still a part of Moldova, and Moldovan people live there and don’t want a war to start.
Difficult words: bomb alert (an incident when someone says that he put a bomb somewhere, and everyone has to leave the area), pro-war forces (a group of people who believe that a war is right), unstable (when it seems that something will change or fall).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.