No Electricity in South America – level 2
Last Sunday morning, two hydroelectric plants in Argentina failed, and this did not lead to a localised power outage but to a massive blackout.
Nearly 50 million people in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay were affected because the whole system broke down. The Argentine president said that people are going to carefully investigate the incident.
The blackout happened when people were voting for governors in some Argentine provinces – people had to use their phones as lights to vote.
Difficult words: hydroelectric plant (a big wall which holds water – some water goes down and makes electricity), outage (when there is no service, such as electricity), blackout (an electricity outage).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.