No Electricity in South America – level 3
The failure of two Argentine hydroelectric plants led to a system-wide meltdown that affected nearly 50 million people in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.
The hydroelectric dams went down at 7 a.m. local time last Sunday and the lights were mostly back at night, but Argentine officials said that the outage should have been only a localised event. Argentine President Mauricio Macri said that it will be carefully investigated why the system-wide meltdown happened.
The total blackout also happened when some Argentine provinces were holding gubernatorial elections – people had to vote by the light of their cell phones.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.