People Buy Bad Meat – level 3
Maracaibo is city in Venezuela, has been experiencing rolling blackouts for months, as the country endures its worst ever-economic downturn. One housewife said that there were about 16–18 hours of blackouts a day during the week.
With no electricity, it is impossible to refrigerate food, and some shoppers have resorted to buying spoiled meat. The media approached one shopper at a market and he said that the meat was no good, but he did not know what to do except to leave things to God’s will. He added that the meat smelled a little foul, but rinsing it with a little vinegar and lemon would do.
The governor of the affected Venezuelan state said that the blackouts were being repaired, yet they persist.
Difficult words: endure (suffer through something difficult), resort to (turn to doing something because of a serious situation), spoiled (that has gone bad), approach (ask), foul (bad), would do (work instead of something else), affected (experiencing a situation), persist (go on, still exist).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.