People in Germany Vote – level 3
Angela Merkel won her fourth term as German Chancellor but with a smaller vote share for her party the ‘Christian Democratic Union of Germany’ or CDU. The group lost ground to right-wing nationalists.
Merkel now faces the difficult task of forming a new coalition in Germany’s parliament. Merkel said that the party had imagined a better result, but it also recognised the shared responsibility for the country and the future that it now has.
The right-wing nationalist AfD or ‘Alternative for Germany’ surged in the polls, becoming Germany’s third largest party. An AfD supporter explained that the reason for this was the previous absence of parliamentary opposition, which would challenge the former coalition’s immigration policy.
Voices disagreeing with AfD’s ideals could also be found – there was an anti-AfD protest in Berlin. The people held up banners which read ‘I’m feeling sick’ or ‘Don’t repeat history!’. One protester who talked to the media about the initiative said that AfD supporters were basically Nazis, which was apparent from the language that their politicians were using.
The centre-left SDP (Social Democratic Party) had its worst post-war election result with only 20% of the votes with the leader declaring that the party would go into opposition.
Difficult words: chancellor (German head of government), lose ground (lose support), coalition (a group made up of other groups), surge (increase extremely), initiative (activity).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos