Pink diamond – level 2
Last week, a pink diamond called Williamson Pink Star sold in Hong Kong for 49.9 million dollars.
The diamond weighed 11.5 carats, and the estimated price was 21 million dollars. It was the second largest pink diamond ever sold at auction, and it set a new record for the price per one carat. Less than 3% of all diamonds are colored diamonds, and only 5% of them are pink. Pink diamonds are very rare and expensive. Usually they are very small, and they don’t weigh more than 10 carats.
Williamson Pink Star diamond has its name after two famous pink diamonds. One of them is Williamson diamond, which weighed 23.6 carats, and Queen Elizabeth II got it as a wedding gift. The second one is Pink Star diamond which weighed 59.6 carats, and it sold for 71.2 million dollars at auction in 2017.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.