Poo Museum in England – level 3
On the Isle of Wight, which is just off the south coast of England, the one and only National Poo Museum opened.
It has 20 different varieties of waste on display, ranging from the ones that we are more used to dealing with to a whole lot of animal dung. The co-founder of the museum is somewhat of a poo enthusiast and during an interview, he retold the time that he and his friends were in the wilds of Northern Sweden. There they came across a poo, but they were unable to identify it. He noticed how excited everyone became.
Apart from the fascination, there is actually a scientific reason to study poo. An education and conservation officer from the Isle of Wight Zoo explained that scientists use it for health screening, looking for parasites, or monitoring the chemicals within.
In order to take the poo in the resin, it has to be completely desiccated, which is a process that takes around an hour for insect poo and a couple of weeks for a lion’s. The team even designed and built a special machine just for this job.
Difficult words: dung (poo), co-founder (co-starter of a project), enthusiast (a person who is enthusiastic – very interested in something), resin (a special material which can protect the thing which is put inside it; a special liquid), desiccate (dry out).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.