President’s Palace – level 2
Alexei Navalny is a political rival of the Russian president Vladimir Putin and he made a documentary about a palace on the Black Sea coast.
The palace is very big, and it is on a large area of land which is forty times larger than Monaco. There are gardens, a vineyard, a landing place for helicopters, and a private theatre. Security watches the palace all the time. In the documentary, Navalny said that the estate belonged to Putin, and it cost 1.3 billion dollars. Navalny said that Putin got the money from corruption.
Then Putin said that the palace did not belong to him or his family. He said that the documentary was full of lies. Then experts said that it seemed that Putin was afraid of Navalny because Navalny was getting more popular in Russia.
Difficult words: political rival (a person who wants to show some bad things about another politician and to make him less popular), estate (a large area of land usually with a large house), corruption (an illegal activity which brings money to a politician or officer).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.