Problem with Skinny Jeans – level 3
Skinny jeans may be trendy and popular with both women and men, but it seems that they could damage your muscles and nerves.
The warning comes after a 35-year-old woman from Australia had to be cut out of a pair of skinny jeans after her calves ballooned in size, as she had spent hours squatting while moving house. Doctors believe that the woman had developed a condition called compartment syndrome made worse by her skinny jeans.
The syndrome is a painful and potentially serious condition caused by bleeding or swelling within an enclosed bundle of muscles. The woman was put on a drip and was able to walk unaided after four days.
Cases where patients developed tingly numbed thighs from wearing skinny jeans have also been reported, although experts add that the chance of this happening is still pretty slim for most people.
Difficult words: balloon (to become larger, swelling (enlargement of a part of the body), drip (drugs in a plastic bag which doctors put into your blood stream), tingly (if a part of your body tingles, you feel a slight stinging feeling, especially on your skin), numbed (not able to feel as much as normally), slim (this is a pun/joke — slim means skinny and it means unlikely).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Do you wear skinny jeans?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.