Protests in Hong Kong – level 1
Hong Kong is in China. It is different from China. Hong Kong was British. Now, it is free from China. It is going to be free from China until 2047.
However, China wants Hong Kong. It wants more power. It shows that it wants Hong Kong sooner than 2047. Some Hongkongers do not like this. They do not want to be part of China.
Now there are protests in Hong Kong. People protest because of a new law. If this law passes, China can take some criminals from courts in Hong Kong and put them in a Chinese court.
Difficult words: was (past of ‘is’), law (a document which says what people can and cannot/must not do), pass (happen, start to be real for people), court (an institution which says if a criminal goes to jail or goes home).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos