Ship in Storm – level 3
The Japanese-flagged cargo ship MV ONE Apus lost more than 1,800 containers after it was caught up in a violent storm in the Pacific on its way to Japan.
It is believed to be the second biggest cargo loss in shipping history after the sinking of the MOL Comfort in 2013.
The ship was about 1,600 nautical miles off Hawaii when the storm hit, and the ship reportedly encountered 16-meter waves. Among the boxes that went overboard were over 60 containers carrying dangerous goods, including fireworks, batteries, and liquid ethanol.
On December 8, the ship arrived in the Japanese port of Kobe for a full safety check. The remaining containers will be removed after the ship has been declared safe.
Difficult words: cargo ship (a big ship that is used to transport goods), nautical mile (a unit that is used to measure distances at sea, and it equals to 1,852 meters), ethanol (a type of alcohol that is used in explosives, fuels, and to make alcoholic beverages).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.