Shooting at a Party – level 2
There was a party at a house in Rochester, New York, USA. However, parties are prohibited in the state because of the coronavirus. That means that the party was not legal.
A mass shooting happened at the party, during which two people died and 14 people were hurt. Luckily, the injuries were not serious. The police did not arrest anybody, and they also do not know why the shooting happened.
In Rochester, the police are in a difficult situation because in March they arrested a black man who later died. Many people are very angry at the police. People drink a lot of alcohol at parties, and when the police arrive, they become aggressive and violent.
Difficult words: prohibited (not allowed by authority), legal (possible by law), mass shooting (an incident during which somebody kills more people with a gun), aggressive (likely to fight).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos