Sky lantern causes fire – level 2
A sky lantern landed in the Juquery State Park in Brazil, and it caused a big fire.
The fire burned for several days, and more than 100 firefighters tried to stop it. Police arrested six people, but later, they released them. The fire rained ash in the city of São Paulo which was 39 kilometers away from the fire.
Sky lanterns are illegal in the area because they often cause fires. This winter was very dry in Brazil, and it helped start fires. Brazilians keep sending burning lanterns into the sky, although they can pay big fines or even go to prison for up to three years.
Difficult words: sky lantern (a small hot air balloon with an open bottom and a small fire inside), rain ash (when grey powder falls as things burn in a fire), fine (money which someone must pay because he did something illegal or he broke a rule).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos