South Koreans eat Russian crab – level 2
As a result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, many countries in the world banned Russian products. Some countries didn’t, for example, South Korea.
Since February, the prices of Russian crab fell. King crab, snow crab, and lobster were very rare and expensive food in the past, but now, people can buy them in supermarkets. Since the start of the war in Ukraine, the number of visitors doubled at seafood markets.
Some people don’t care why food from Russia is so cheap, but many people do care. They say that it is not right to eat food from Russia because it is cheap. They say that the government should ban Russian food, and people should stop buying it.
Difficult words: ban (to officially stop something), lobster (a large animal which has a hard shell, two large claws, and eight legs), double (to become twice as much or many).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos