Spain heatwave – level 3
Spain’s national meteorological office said that the country has been sweltering in the worst pre-summer heatwave for the past two decades.
Scientists expect temperatures in parts of the west and south to reach 44 degrees Celsius. They also warn that heatwaves are becoming more frequent and beginning earlier. The global heat means that Spain’s summer begins between 20 and 40 days earlier than it did 50 years ago.
With little time to acclimatize to normally midsummer temperatures, people are at higher risk of heatstroke, dizziness, and headaches.
Meanwhile, fires in southern Spain forced almost 3,000 people to evacuate as the fires raged through mountainous regions near the city of Málaga. Various parts of Spain have regularly suffered wildfires over the past year.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.