Steel industry problems – level 2
Aperam is a Belgian-French company which produces steel. Like many other steel producers, the company had big problems in recent months.
The prices of electricity and gas grew so much that last month, Aperam spent the same amount of money energy as it spent in the whole year. The company had to switch off some of its furnaces, and it lowered production by 50%. More than a thousand people could lose their jobs, and the situation is similar in other companies, too.
The EU wants to get some money back from energy companies, but nobody knows how much money will get to producers. Some experts already worry that some industries could end in Europe. This change would be bad for the companies and also for the environment. Steel producers in Asia make cheaper steel, but they produce a lot more emissions.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.