Storm Ana – level 2
Storm Ana hit Malawi, Madagascar, and Mozambique, and it forced hundreds of thousands of people to leave their homes.
Heavy rains lasted more than one week, and they brought floods and landslides to southern Africa. In Madagascar, 48 people died, and 130,000 people stayed in shelters. In Malawi, 18 people died, and 200,000 people had to leave their homes. Floods damaged the country’s main highway, and cars and people could go nowhere. Mozambique’s Prime Minister said that the situation in the country was very serious, and that floods were happening more.
Another storm was building in the Indian Ocean, and experts expected that it would reach Africa in a few days.
Difficult words: landslide (when rocks and dirt fall down a hill or mountain), shelter (a place where a person is safe from bad weather or a dangerous situation), highway (a main road which connects two big towns or cities).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.