Syrian Camp in Iraq – level 1
The lives of Syrian Kurds change. The US army leaves. Other armies want to go to the country. Syria is not a safe place to live.
Many Syrian Kurds decide to leave. They escape to Iraq. There is a big camp for people from Syria there. The problem is that the border is closed between Syria and Iraq. It is not legal to come to Iraq. Syrian people spend a lot of money to get to the camp. However, life in the camp is very difficult. People get a tent and some food when they come. They do not get much food after some days. There are some organizations to help. However, they do not help very much.
Difficult words: escape (to run away from a place), camp (a place where people live in tents), border (the line between two countries), legal (when it is OK to do something according to your government).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.