Tasmania’s Giant Lobsters – level 1
A man was a lobster hunter. Now, he helps Tasmania’s giant lobsters.
The giant lobster lives in fresh water. It is losing its habitat. Fishing is also hurting it. Less than 100,000 giant lobsters live in Tasmania.
The man says that the giant lobsters were really big. They were around 6 kilos heavy. The big lobsters are dead. Today’s lobsters are smaller. Their claws are strong, however. They can break bones.
Difficult words: was/were (past of is/are), lobster (a water animal with a hard shell and its body is in parts), habitat (the place where an animal lives), claws (big front ‘arms’ which can break something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos