The Imbolc Fire Festival – level 2
In a village in England, the Imbolc Fire Festival began thousands of years ago.
People come to this festival to celebrate the beginning of Spring and the end of Winter as the festival happens halfway between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox.
This year, thousands of people came to the parade to see people with torches in druid costumes. The festival organiser said that there are two giants representing Winter and Spring in the festival this year. They have a battle which Spring wins.
Difficult words: Winter Solstice (the shortest day of the year), Spring Equinox (when the day and night are equally long), druid (a person from the old Celtic religion, or a present-day person who believes in this religion).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.